Expat speak Bahrain – after an year of protests

Bahrain has been my home for almost a decade now. I am, what I am today because of Bahrain and will be always grateful to this island. I do not have a Bahraini passport but I consider myself a part of it and Bahrain is my country as much as any local’s.

My parents have lived in other Middle Eastern countries and they’ve told me that the freedom and rights we have in Bahrain cannot be seen anywhere else. Forget about Middle East. My passport is Indian, the world’s largest democracy, and yet I feel safe, secure and happy only in Bahrain. I’m saying this after experiencing life in India from 2007 to 2010. Our country, Bahrain, is blessed with intellectual rulers who think about the long term and make the wisest decisions. The Crown Prince is, according to me, the wisest person to rule this Kingdom.

Bahrainis have never discriminated against me nor have they ever made me feel that this is not my country. This island and its rulers are the epitome of patience. NO country as far as I know, provides housing for its citizens. All individuals work and build their own. Maybe this is too generous of our King. People here have misused the freedom. I was shocked to hear that protests were being held here. Just because they were held in Egypt? Did it become a fashion statement?

I live about 500m away from the Pearl Roundabout and was devastated to see it being turned into a dump yard. When I voice my opinion on Twitter, the protesters have argued with me for more than three hours saying that they were “peaceful”. Now that I have the media to back my arguments, no one wants to watch them. Truth hurts? They demand the right to live with dignity. WHEN have they been insulted? I have lived here for so long and I cannot tell the difference between a Sunni and a Shi’ite. I have Shi’ite friends who oppose the protests but cannot voice their opinion.

Protesters are angry that they’re not given employment. Yeah, they would have been employed if they had attended educational institutions instead of burning tires. Looking at the situation now, thank God the government didn’t employ Shi’ites into the army or else they would have turned against the government instead of fight for it. I believe that the till the religious leaders are into politics no country can improve. Religion is something private and sacred to every individual. It should not be preached or forced onto anyone.

It is beyond me why reputed news channels like BBC and CNN are portraying our King as the ‘bad guy’. Either they want to make news that sell, their reporters are under-qualified or they’re being paid by someone to report this news. I have no idea. Many expatriates have already left the island after attacks. This further reduces the economic development.

I always have and always will support the Al-Khalifas. I know that whatever they do, they’ll have a reason for it. I thank them for deploying the army and police at the roundabout before more expatriates and police could have been murdered. We want you to know that we’re with you all the way. Please bring back peace to our beautiful Bahrain so all of us can get on with our lives. I wish to serve this country till my last breath. Please do not take my desire away from me.”

It’s almost been a year that I have been witnessing what I wrote. I have experienced LOT after that. We are fed up of everything the protesters are doing. The horrific scenes I see on TV of policemen being attacked with molotovs and iron rods is just very ANTI human rights (what they are apparently fighting for). The iron rods had gone THROUGH the hands of the policemen. I felt sick looking at the images. They had turned the national government hospital into their base to hide weapons. Every day they burn tires and protests causing traffic and pollution and making the life of the residents chaotic.

I can now (in-diplomatically) say that I genuinely HATE the protesters here for ruining everything we had on this beautiful island.

Connect with:

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

7 Responses to Expat speak Bahrain – after an year of protests

1. Spencer Haskins says: March 2, 2012 at 5:36 pm

This represents only the ludicrous propaganda that is perpetrated upon an unknowing World by the terrorist organization that has usurped Bahraini society, the Al-Khalifas! I do not doubt this woman’s experience, I just doubt that it is in anyway factually representative of hundreds of thousands of Shia nationals in country who have been persecuted, tortured, illegally detained, falsely accused, deprived of adequate housing, and discriminated against in employment for decades, if not centuries. The Al-Khalifa terrorist want to change the demographics of the country to gerrymander ‘representation’ away from the 70% of the population, the Shia majority. Thus, this expatriate has literally been treated superior to other Bahraini citizens. 60+ martyrs, hundreds of prisoners of conscience, and thousands of workers sacked for only expressing their personal opinions. attest to the conditions in Bahrain. The nation is rife with protest and civil unrest, all due to the pathological myopia of the Al-Khalifa fascists! Nice try on the propaganda, Hamy, but the truth about Bahrain will not be silenced! … Samood!

• Anceeta says: March 3, 2012 at 11:58 pm

How long have you lived in Bahrain?

2. Rita Nalette says: March 2, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I’m a Christian, for want of a sectarian identifier. To any who support the Al Khalifa regime as it is represented by the entire family I say “tell it to the dead”. The children, men, women – unwillingly martyred. Tell it to the people willing to die for the right to live free.

3. Mohammad says: March 3, 2012 at 12:56 pm

4. Expat says: March 4, 2012 at 12:03 am

Burning tires, blocking roads, killing policemen, attacking civilians, throwing molotovs is not peaceful. All those who support the protesters, support violence and riots. Why didn’t the protesters in UK/USA receive such support? You hypocritical excuse for humans?

5. Yousifology says: March 4, 2012 at 3:00 am

I’m a half Sunni, half Shi’a Bahraini. I was raised to never know the difference between the two and my family was never into politics. I totally agree with what is written in this article – the government propaganda may be bad, but the protesters propaganda is far worse. We all want reform, we all want the government to function better, but as Bahrainis we have lived far too long in luxury, where even the poorest households tend to have a maid and sometimes several cars. Bahrainis do not understand what poverty truly means, no Bahraini goes hungry and i am yet to see a homeless person (bar a few addicts to troll the streets begging at stoplights), and no Bahraini accepts the idea that they do not pay taxes, get government-subsidized education, healthcare, housing, business loans and much more. If you want change, work hard, educate yourself, and build yourself up to actually cause real change at the effective level. Burning tires does NOT cause change, just nuisance. I think all the protestors are doing now is alienating people who once might’ve empathized with them. There is so much religion mixed with politics which creates dissonance within such an ethnically, culturally and religiously diverse community as is our Bahrain. I was never pro or against anyone but nonetheless i lived through this nightmare and still continue to. What a small faction does affects the entire country, not just the top tiers.

6. Harshit says: March 4, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Bahrain – An island of pearls, hosting freedom of religion, open welcome to all nationalities unlike any other country I know in the surrounding area.

Bahrain has been like my second home from India. Been here for 16 years straight from. I have seen the ruling family bring this country from literal dust, to a position where the people recognise this small island and bringing on a track to being named a developed country by 2030.

The protests that began in the island on February14, 2011 came as a shocker to me, and i believe no one expected that such a thing could happen in an island that was considered the safest place in the whole area.

The protests are a nuisance, with it being done so as to continue the trend of ‘Arab Revolution’ is so idiotic. While I agree the government has lacked in some areas but, what all haven’t they provided – from housing to educational oppurtunities. Now tell me, the protesters demand reforms and the goverment is ready to take steps by calling in a dialogue. Whats the point of the opposition group rejecting the calls from the government and standing subborn to their nuisance notion.

Second off all, the protesters ask for employment. They go ahead and block roads with trash, burning tyres, go ahead and attack innocent people and literally endangering the lives of the people, all in all spoilling the economy. If you spoil the business and are academically backward, how do you expect to get a job? O_o

Bahrain has been a victim of all sorts of false claims by foreign medias, activits and journalists who have acclaimed the protesters to be innoncent and peaceful and the ruling regime as the ‘CRIMINALS’. Reality check: Is attacking innoncent civilians, hurling molotov cocktails at the policemen, burning tyres and trash bins and polluting the environment, causing roadblocks and hampering everday life and business and damaging public property. How can in anyway these acts comitted on parts of protesters claimed to be peaceful by anyone?

I am a whole-hearted supporter of the ruling regime and praise the reform measures taken by them. The holding of the F1 should be welcomed rather than boycotted. Many have left this amid island in fear of their safety but the people must know that the government has taken various steps for the safety of its people and should overlook any absurb news of tìs beautiful island.

Now all that can be wished for is an end to these nuisance acts and the peaceful atmosphere to reurn to this beautiful island – BAHRAIN